Biobased packaging is packaging that has a biological or biomass base, meaning it is made entirely or partially from renewable raw materials of natural origin.
It is a totally sustainable type of packaging that joins other biodegradable, compostable, ecological, recyclable or recycled options to favor the environment.
Componentes de los envases biobasados
Bio-based packaging, since it is made up of plant-based components, is totally renewable.
Among the most commonly used for the manufacture of bio-based packaging are:
- Cellulose, from wood or cotton, a fundamental material for the manufacture of wood, cardboard or paper packaging.
- Sugar cane. Widely used in the food sector.
- Starch, extracted from corn, potatoes, wheat or rice.
What is the difference between bio-based and biodegradable packaging?
It is important to point out the difference between bio-based and biodegradable packaging, the first ones come from components of natural and non-fossil resources, while the second ones do not depend on the origin of the raw materials, since it depends on more environmental factors such as humidity, temperature, etc. In other words, biodegradable packaging does not necessarily have to be bio-based.
If you want to go for totally sustainable packaging, look at the indications of the product and check that it is a container or packaging from BIOBASED, BIODEGRADABLE and, if possible, also COMPOSTABLE. This is the case of our PackInGreen® packaging.
Coverpan and its complete range of packaging
PackInGreen® is the result of our daily commitment to contribute to the Circular Economy, which is why we offer a complete range of BIOBASED, BIODEGRADABLE and COMPOSTABLE packaging.
Our packaging is made from raw materials that come from biomass or vegetable sources and are therefore renewable.
As an example of this, we are committed to sustainability since our origin, in 1994 we patented our Coverpan Paper Reels for automatic packaging.
These are premium packaging where paper is the protagonist. The materials of this line have different inner laminations, according to the needs of the product to be packaged, and a natural finish that will add value to your product.
What are the advantages of our paper reels?
- They are manufactured with biodegradable and compostable materials of bio-based origin.
- The paper maintains its porosity and allows the food to “breathe” and stay fresh and crisp.
- They have high water vapor permeability.
- They have a greater visual impact on the shelf thanks to their natural and artisan product image.
- The customer can see the packaged product through the transparent window.
- They have a perfect seal. Therefore, there is maximum hygiene and safety at the point of sale.
- They are suitable for packaging in automatic horizontal flowpack machines.
For which markets are coverpan paper reels recommended?
This type of packaging is ideal for daily bread sold in supermarkets and self-service stores. For example, crusty bread such as baguette, vienna, brioche, ciabatta, ciabatta, telera,, loaf of bread, peasant bread, rustic bread or wholemeal bread. It is also suitable for packaging fresh fruits and vegetables.
At Coverpan, we are part of the change.